Here I am, sitting at home (Mark's at a meeting), my freshly made Rice Krispie Treats setting up in the kitchen, HGTV on in the background. Pretty domestic, huh? Well, I'm no Betty Crocker. I've been suspecting it for a while now but those suspicions have been confirmed.
After we'd been stuck in the house all day Saturday due to the snow, I decided to make my husband a lovely dinner. Spaghetti with meat sauce, salad, and bread sticks! Yum! Well... the lettuce was a little soggy... so no salad. We didn't have enough spaghetti sauce, so I thought "gee, I'll be creative & throw in some tomato soup, and then maybe some spices!" Bad idea. We sat down to eat, and we both took a few bites. You should have seen Mark's face! My poor husband was trying to pretend that it was OK, but I'm no fool. It was NOT good! I wonder how many times before he's faked the delight of his taste buds to keep from hurting my feelings?!
I don't know if it was cabin fever getting to me, but I got really sad that I'd ruined our dinner. I want to be able to cook yummy meals for my hubby, and I've really started to doubt my skills. Mark & I share our household responsibilities, but cooking is something I've always enjoyed & have wanted to do. (At least I can bake, although I think the FDA would say that feeding your children (future children!) cookies & pie for dinner isn't healthy).
Good thing for me, Mark knew going into this that I'm not Betty Crocker! I guess I thought this domestication thing would be much easier than it is! You all know I'm not the cleanest individual, now my cooking skills are in question too! Cooking good food on a budget is hard! If any of you have any great recipes, I'd love for you to share them with me : )
Enough of my complaining. We trashed the spaghetti, ordered subs from Donatos, and watched Air Force One on TV : ) It turned out to be quite a lovely evening at home!
Here are some topics for my future blogs you should look out for!
- Chess. After months of Mark asking me if I wanted to learn, I'm doing it! When we were visiting Grandpa in the days before he passed away, Mark & I talked to him about his old chess playing days. He told me again (he'd said it before!) how great chess is for the mind, and suggested I learn to play. Well, I'm not going to let him down, so here it goes!
- Our nieces & nephews. They're great fun!
- Domestication. I'm working on it : )
That's it for now. Until next time...
Love,
Marci

2 comments:
Hmmm, well this should be good. What happened? You've always been better in the kitchen than me.... and I seem to manage (although Brett may not agree). Its all about the crock pot, check out the 12 pages of crock pot recipes on bettycrocker.com!!
Marse,
Everything comes with practice, so don't be too hard on yourself. Be sure to ask Mom about cooking on a budget....she did that for many years.
Dad
Post a Comment